In 1945 Census records count 10 families with 71 individuals in this area.In the back of Marche's Point, Loretto was a busy little village with a school and general store. Loretto was accessible from both the Red Brook and Marche's Point side. Newfoundland resettlement in the 1950's brought down most of the families and today there are no permanent residents. Most former residents had moved to De Grau, Red Brook and Marche's Point. There are many cabins and cottages, however, in this beautiful area.
Marche's Point was first named Pointe A Luc after one of the first settlers, Luc Benoit, a Mi'kmaq who move from Margaree, Acadia with his family, via Stephenville. About 1848, three sons of Boniface Benoit (Mi'kmaq)and Marie Manet, George, Luc, Paul, (note: a fourth brother Isaaic died in Acadian and his widow who married a Le Blanc came to Bay St George and descendants can be found today in the area) left Margaree heading for the Bay St George region of Newfoundland. All three were married to daughters of Germain Le Blanc and Madeleine Cormier. George was married to Seraphique, Luc to Helene, Paul to Victoria and Isaaic's widow was Felicite. Staying in Bay St. George Paul lived in Flat Bay while Luc eventually setttled in Pointe A Luc. All Benoits and other families in the area today are Descendants of these Mi'kmaw brothers or of Francois Benoit, Newfoundland's first Benoit and his Mi'kmaw wife Anne L' Official. As in other communities around Bay St George, residents rarely admitted that they were of Mi'kmaq and most were just classified as of Acadian ancestry, but would usually say they were English .
The area was later named Marche's point after John Marche, who arrived in the mid-l900s. Also among the early settlers were the Garnier and Benoit families. Its first mention was in the 1891 census with 32 residents.
The population grew slowly and by 1945 there were 149 residents, the lobster industry prospered, as did groundfish and capelin. There was also a post office in Marche's Point. In a good year, a man and his sons could land more than 100 quintals of fish. It was dried in July and sold to Abbott & Haliburton or "taken up in goods" at $10-12 a quintal. Residents today recall capelin many years ago, coming ashore in such numbers barrels could be picked up in a few minutes. They've recently become scarce and no longer roll on Marches Point beach.
The Marches Point Cooperative was the centre of business for the area until it ran its course and closed.
Animals, too, now are rare in Marches Point. At one time, nearly every resident kept cattle, sheep and hens and had their own pastures. The closest community pastures are in Degrau, Piccadilly, and Ship Cove are rarely used. Many haD just a horse to help with light farming. Nowadays residents use motorized ATVs, some still grow a few vegetables and have hens.
By 1971, 241 people lived in Marches Point, but very little growth has since been noted. The population, in fact, dropped to 220 in 1976, and many people continue to leave to find work since the fishery's dramatic decline in the past few years.
In 1981, male unemployment was as high as 40%, and female 31%. The most jobless, however, were the youth, with 75% unable to find work in Cape St. George or the surrounding area in the 1970s and early 1980s. Of 230 men in the workforce, 75 were in primary industries, 30 in construction trades and 25 in sales. Of the 75 women, 30 worked as clerks, 15 taught and the others worked in the service industry or were professionals. In 2010 as in most other communities, except for the few who work at the Lower Cove Quarry, many commute to Eastern Newfoundland, Labrador and Alberta for their employment.
In Cape St. George area itself (not the whole municipality), the 1971 census listed 338 residents, just one more than in 1976.
Farming continued to be a way of life until opportunities in Stephenville, particularly in the 1940s on the USAF base there, had lured residents from their homes (as had the Corner Brook pulp and paper mill earlier). The subsequent closure of the base and the downturn in both forestry and fishing, has, since the 1970s, brought many back to Cape St. George and back to traditional ways of making a living, but with that return came high unemployment. The area has the feel of a large native reserve. The fishery, logging, carpentry and road construction still provide seasonal jobs for a few.
Today, many work at the Lower Cove Quarry while most others commute to Eastern NL, Labrador and Alberta for work.
Places in Marche's Point:
Marche's Point Cementary
Green Head Cemetary
Profile: Alphons Benoit
The small community was listed as Red Brook Cove in 1901, with 62 residents in 13 Roman Catholic families. There was one teacher and a 40-pupil school, but only 12 of the 21 children attended. There were 16 fisherman-farmers, and they caught and processed 75 cases of lobster and 354 quintals of cod in 1900 worth a total of $2,242.
The French Costard (Coste) family and the Jessos (Jeasseau) were among the earliest residents. Although there were quite a few French-speaking Mi'kmaq residents, the language died out in most of the community, and it is now mainly English-speaking.
About 40 families live in the Red Brook area of Cape St. George, and in the 1970's they mainly fish and cut pulpwood. Local Mikmaw find temporary jobs on make-work projects but unemployment is quite high.
In 2010 no more commercial fishery exits, and with closure of two of the provinces three pup mills many now community outside the region for employment.
Place Names in Red Brook
Red Brook Park
Return to top of page
Back to Home Page
Back To Community Historical Profiles
Bay St George News