Indian Head has been in existence for hundreds of years and was mentioned in the writings of W.E. Cormack on his historic journey across Newfoundland, in the early 1800's. In 1822, Cormack listed 150 Mi'kmaq living at Indian Head, with the family names of Benoit, Alexander, Lucoos, Young, Marche, LeBlanc, Gallant, Gabriel, and Cormier.
The community was first know as L'ans Savage. Later it was called Indian Head and then Stephenville. Micmac and Montagnais, and Biothuck had fished, camped and lived in the area from at least the early 1500s and earlier.
More info to come...
Geology of the area
Indian Head Park
Return to top of page
Copyright © 2004 Jasen Sylvester Benwah