Microfilm BT 107/48B #24 239
Francois Benoit, Sr of St. George's Bay in Nfld (Planter) owner of ship Jane of St. George's Bay.
Size: 26 tons.
Ship's Master: Francois Benoit, Jr
Certificate August 12, 1824
Specifications: 1 Deck- 2 mask
Lenght 38 feet 2 inches
Note: The Mikmaq timeline Mi'kmaq timeline states the following:
1822 - The Mi'kmaq of St. George's Bay, Newfoundland, built their own schooner - visit the link and see for yourself.
Registered at the Port of St John's, Newfoundland 24 August 1824.
Note: Ship was lost in 1851
Note of thanks to Gerry Benoit for sharing this information with us
The following is an accurate list of the Indian trappers, and their respective hunting-grounds in Newfoundland:-
The Mikmaq now acknowledge a local chief, although they always refer all matters of extreme importance to the head chief, John Dennis, who lives near Sydney, Nova Scotia. In 1900, at the death of old Joe Bernard, Reuben Lwis was elected as a probationary chief of the Newfoundland Mikmaq.
This is an excerpt from the book "Newfoundland and its Untrodden Ways" by J. G. Millaic.